Thursday, June 16, 2011

I think I'm an awkward person

(Reposted from my deviantArt blog)

Or, at least, I have this unbreakable tendency to try to say something polite/complimentary and then have it come out as insulting. O__o I shall give you two recent examples below:

Scenario #1: Boyfriend and I step into our local diner.

Hostess: "Hi! How are you?"
Us: "Great, thanks! How are you?"
Hostess: "Oh, doing fine, thanks."
Boyfriend: "Busy day?"
Hostess: "No, not really."
Me: "Oh, that's good."
*awkward silence*

What I meant: Oh, that's good, because I'm glad that you didn't have a stressful day dealing with huge crowds of people.
What it sounds like: Oh, that's good, cuz your restaurant's gonna TANK.

----

Scenario #2: Twitter. I am watching a video of Harry Shum Jr.'s mad dancing skills (you know, that Glee guy), and a Conan the Barbarian trailer pops up.

What I wanted to say on Twitter: You know, even though buff guys like Conan the Barbarian are supposed to be the ones I'm attracted to, I still like lean guys like Harry Shum Jr., because they are also handsome and attractive and appealing even though they do not have big bulging muscles. Yay for those of us who are not alpha perfect!

What I actually say on Twitter:

Muscles are so overrated.
*suddenly remembers that there are some muscular, friendly ppl on her followers list*
I mean, abdominal muscles are nice. But I still like lean+mean over muscular guys.
I mean, some muscle is good. But I mean muscular like, The Rock. Not hot.
*remembers The Rock is actually a nice person in interviews*
I mean, @redcrest is right, I probably like lean guys because I like bishonen boys in anime.
*@redcrest comes to my aid, gently suggesting that muscular guys are also great, they are the evolutionary instinct*
I mean, my preference for lean guys over muscular guys gives me a distinct evolutionary disadvantage.
I mean, not that muscular guys are unattractive. I just like lean guys better.
I mean, not that lean guys are evolutionary disadvantages.
*awkward silence*
Ok, now that I have thoroughly insulted both muscular and lean guys, I'm going to shut up now and go back into my box.

----

Hmm........I really need to work on my delivery.....

3 comments:

Su Mon said...

OMG. *huggles* Marie, you are totally overthinking this--no one thinks you're a jerk just for expressing your preference for lean guys. I'm sure a lot of ppl found it refreshing just bc the geberal opinion is so overwhelmingly the other way. Don't worry, it's not a huge snafu or anything. I think the twitter silence is due more to the fact that it was a Friday night & ppl were prolly out (sorry, that's why I'm only responding now too. Twitter is a spotty way to hold a convo sometimes!) But don't worry too much. I think anyone can tell from your,profile pic that you're not a mean, nasty person or anything. As they say in Japan, "don't mind!" ;-)

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

HA HA!!! This is so me! But you know what age brings? Discretion - although sometimes it's less discretion and more slower synapses firing, slowing down the delivery of awkward moments from brain to tongue or fingers. But then the older you get all this backfires and you say whatever you want to say whenever you want to say it - thus causing discretion to go flying out the window again. So we can't win.

Ain't life fun?

Marie said...

lol, aww--thanks Su Mon! <3 Ello, hahaha that's awesome....who needs discretion? :)